Important Notice: COVID-19
Update on PMBRC Operations, 1st – 20th July 2020:
- Laboratory activities are currently being re-established at the centre with urgent industry work and COVID-related projects prioritised. Please contact Niall O’Reilly on firstname.lastname@example.org for further information or to schedule experimental work.
- Some PMBRC staff will be working from home over the restricted period. Staff will be available to answer e-mails, write reports and will be working on non-laboratory aspects of projects. However, responses to e-mails may be delayed in some cases.
- Deliveries to the PMBRC can be made with advance notice. Please let your PMBRC contact know when the delivery is scheduled and provide a tracking number where possible.
- Scheduled meetings should be conducted remotely where possible.
At the moment these restrictions are in place until the 20th July. However, this period may be extended further depending on Government advice. We thank you for your patience during this time and look forward to returning to normal operations as soon as possible.
Welcome to the PMBRC
The PMBRC is an applied research centre that commenced operations in 2009, consolidating research in the chemical, pharmaceutical and biotechnological sciences at Waterford Institute of Technology into one institutionally prioritised centre. Situated on the main WIT campus in Waterford City, the centre seeks to support R&D activities within the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, thereby stimulating research and innovation and allowing companies to embed R&D directly into their activities.
The centre, one of 15 Enterprise Ireland Technology Gateways, consists of an 800m2 state-of-the-art research facility with over 30 research personnel. A truly multidisciplinary team, researchers at the PMBRC include chemists, biologists, biomedical scientists, physicists and engineers, and the centre has established links with national and international partners in industry, academia and medical care institutions.Read More
Research in the PMBRC focuses on important areas of pharmaceutical and biotechnology development and can be summarised under the following themes:
- Pharmaceutical Analysis, Material Characterisation & Pre-formulation
- Novel Sensing & Process Technologies
- Drug Delivery & Formulation
- Biomedical Research
- Molecular Biotechnology
Collaboration with regional and national industry partners is at the core of PMBRC’s activities. The centre is involved in collaborative projects with industry ranging from large-scale research projects to short term feasibility studies and contract analysis.
The PMBRC has a proven track record in attracting funding from national and international sources.Read More
Equipment & Facilities
The following is a list of the main items of equipment within PMBRC:
- Materials Characterisation
- Chromatography & Mass Spectrometry
- Formulation / Pre-formulation
- Molecular Biotechnology
- New in Q1 2020
Minister Halligan visits PMBRC/EIRC laboratories at heart of COVID-19 testing research
Minister Halligan: ‘I want to congratulate Dr Lee Coffey on leading the project here in WIT along with colleagues in UHW and BIOENZ – This project has a broad range of molecular expertise that will help optimise and improve turnaround rates for COVID-19 testing.’ Minister for Training, Skills, Innovation, Research & Development, John Halligan today…
Very interesting discussion for anyone involved in eye health and drug delivery https://t.co/167LEBIhc4