Vacancy: Technology Leader, Characterisation/Pre-Formulation
The Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBRC) was established in 2008, consolidating existing research in WIT in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and biomedical sciences into one research centre. The PMBRC is one of 12 centres of excellence funded by the Enterprise Ireland Technology Gateway programme. The PMBRC has established strong links with the national pharmaceutical and healthcare sector and has secured funding of over €2m for industrial projects since 2008. In addition the centre is involved in a number of national and international initiatives with academic partners. See the PMBRC website at http://pmbrc.org
As part of the Technology Gateway funding, the following position has become available in the PMBRC:
Job Title and Description: Technology Leader, Characterisation/Pre-Formulation.
The recruited researcher will be responsible for the development of the PMBRC capabilities and the provision of solutions to industry partners in this technology area.
Enterprise Ireland Technology Gateway programme
Depending on qualifications and experience and in accordance with the IUA Salary Guidelines for Postdoctoral Researchers.
Commencement Date and Project Duration:
The recruited Technology Leader would be expected to commence in July 2014. A three-and-a-half year contract will be offered until 31st December 2017.
Minimum Qualifications/ Requirements:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, pharmacy, polymer science or a related discipline.
- Previous experience in the characterisation of the critical quality attributes of pharmaceutical materials.
- Experience and a demonstrated capability in the use of advanced analytical characterisation techniques and instrumentation relevant to the technology area.
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential. The successful candidate will be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary research team and be able to work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to work on their own initiative and as part of a wider team.
- Previous experience in the development of drug product formulations.
- Previous experience working in, or with, the pharmaceutical industry.
- Previous experience in the preparation of funding proposals.
- Previous experience in the supervision of research staff and/or students.
- A good publication record.
- To develop the capabilities of the PMBRC in the area of characterisation and pre-formulation.
- To deliver technology solutions to industry partners in this technology area.
- To conduct laboratory research and analysis at WIT and other collaborator sites to meet the objectives of the centre.
- To lead academic and commercial research projects in the technology area.
- To research relevant literature and keep abreast of recent advances in the field.
- To report and present progress on a regular basis to the centre management team, industry partners and funding bodies.
- To prepare reports, publications, conference proceedings, invention disclosures and patents as appropriate.
- To prepare funding applications to develop the research programme of the centre.
- Such other duties, temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required commensurate with the position
To apply for this position please submit CV with accompanying letter/email to
Ms. Ruth Hennebry, Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519 Fax: 051-302663 E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Closing date for applications: 4.00PM on Friday, 06 June 2014
Download a pdf version of this job description here
The Institute may decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.