Postdoctoral Researcher Position - HIPODERM Project
Download a pdf version of this job description here
The Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBRC) was established in 2008, consolidating existing research in WIT in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and biomedical sciences into one research centre. The PMBRC is one of 13 centres of excellence funded by the Enterprise Ireland Applied Research Enhancement (ARE) scheme. The PMBRC has established strong links with the local pharmaceutical and healthcare sector and has secured funding of almost €1.7 million for industrial projects since 2008.
A PMBRC-led consortium has been awarded substantial funding to help develop technologies for delivering highly potent drugs across the skin. The project, called HIPODERM (High Potency Dermatologicals), includes Waterford-based EirGen Pharma Ltd., Cardiff University and An-eX Analytical Services Ltd., also based in Cardiff. As part of this project, the following position has now become available:
Job Title and Description:
Postdoctoral Researcher, HIPODERM. The recruited researcher will work on the development of polymeric microneedle formulations for the targeted and/or controlled release of an active pharmaceutical ingredients across the skin.
HIPODERM (High Potency Dermatologicals).
FP7 Marie Curie Industry Academia Partnerships and Pathways programme
- Basic salary: €49,029 per annum.
- Mobility allowance: Either €500 or €800 per month (this is a taxable allowance, the amount of which is dependent on pre-determined Marie Curie criteria).
- Career exploratory allowance: €2,000 payable at the end of the contract.
Commencement Date and Project Duration:
To start no later than 01 March 2013, 24 month contract.
Candidates for this position must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Candidate must not have resided or carried out their main activity in Ireland for more than 12 months in the last 3 years immediately prior to the date of selection by Waterford Institute of Technology.
- The candidate must, at the time of recruitment, be in possession of a doctoral degree.
Applicants who do not meet these criteria will not be considered for this position.
Minimum Qualifications/ Requirements:
- Ph.D. in chemistry, pharmacy, polymer science or a related discipline.
- Previous experience in the development of controlled release drug delivery technologies, preferably using polymers.
- Experience and a demonstrated capability in the use of advanced analytical characterisation techniques and instrumentation.
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential. The successful candidate will be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary research team and be able to work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- Ability to work on their own initiative and as part of a wider team.
- Previous experience in the development of transdermal drug delivery formulations.
- Previous experience in the development and manufacture of microneedle arrays.
- Previous experience in the synthesis or processing of polymeric materials.
- A good publication record.
- To conduct laboratory research at WIT and other collaborator sites to meet the objectives of the project.
- To research relevant literature and keep abreast of recent advances in the field.
- To report and present findings on a regular basis to the HIPODERM team for review purposes.
- To prepare reports, publications, conference proceedings, invention disclosures and patents as appropriate.
- Such other duties, temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required commensurate with the position
To apply for this position please submit CV with accompanying letter/email to
Ms. Ruth Hennebry, Human Resource Office, Waterford Institute of Technology, Cork Road, Waterford. Tel: 051-845519 Fax: 051-302663 E-mail: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: 4.00PM on Friday, 8th February 2013
The Institute may decide to interview only those applicants who appear from the information available, to be the most suitable, in terms of experience, qualifications and other requirements of the post.