Post-Doctoral researcher position available at the PMBRC
POSITION NOW CLOSED
The Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBRC) was established in 2008, consolidating existing research in WIT in the pharmaceutical, biotechnology and biomedical sciences into one research centre. The PMBRC is one of 13 centres of excellence funded by the Enterprise Ireland Applied Research Enhancement (ARE) scheme. The PMBRC has established strong links with the local pharmaceutical and healthcare sector and has secured funding of over €1.5 million for industrial projects since 2008.
Recently the PMBRC has been awarded funding for research projects as part of the Pharmaceutical Manufacturing Technology Centre (PMTC). The PMTC is funded by Enterprise Ireland and the Industrial Development Authority of Ireland (IDA) as a collaborative entity to carry out industry focussed research. As a result of this funding award, the following position is now vacant in the PMBRC:
Postdoctoral Researcher, Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBRC), Waterford Institute of Technology, Ireland.
Selective separation and electronic detection of micro-organisms using synthetic polymer foot printing. (MICRO-PRINT).
This position will involve the development, synthesis and characterisation of molecularly imprinted polymers (MIPs) sensors for rapid and selective detection of bacteria. The project will be carried out in collaboration with IT Tallaght, Dublin. The role will be based primarily in Waterford Institute of Technology although the researcher will be expected to carry out some experimental work at the collaborating Institute in Dublin. The knowledge generated during the project will be used in the development and optimisation of a near real-time bacteria detection protocol that will supersede existing slow, labour intensive cell culture-colourimetry methodologies for bacterial identification and enumeration.
Enterprise Ireland and the Industrial Development Authority of Ireland (IDA)
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Ph.D. in chemistry or a related discipline.
- Previous experience in molecular imprinting, synthetic polymer chemistry and polymer characterisation.
- Experience and a demonstrated capability in the use of advanced analytical characterisation techniques and instrumentation.
- The successful candidate will have the ability to apply their expertise to solve complex problems using the data generated from the project.
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential. The successful candidate will be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary research team and be able to work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- Previous experience in molecular imprinting, with emphasis on the interfacing of MIPs with sensing applications.
- Good understanding of micro-organism biochemistry and experience in handling bacterial samples.
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- To conduct laboratory research at WIT and other collaborator sites to meet the objectives of the project.
- To research relevant literature and keep abreast of recent advances in the field.
- To report and present findings on a regular basis to the research team and industrial partners for review purposes.
- To transfer and implement knowledge from the research project into the operations of the industrial partner.
- To prepare reports, publications, conference proceedings, invention disclosures and patents as appropriate.
- To contribute to research assistant supervision and training as required.
- Such other duties, temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required commensurate with the position
Up to € 42,394 per annum depending on qualifications and experience
12 month contract
How To Apply:
THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED
The full job description can be downloaded from here.