2 Postdoctoral Researchers Required for Drug Delivery Project
POSITIONS NOW CLOSED - PLEASE DO NOT APPLY
The Pharmaceutical and Molecular Biotechnology Research Centre (PMBRC) and South Eastern Applied Materials (SEAM) are centres of excellence based in Waterford Institute of Technology and funded by the Enterprise Ireland Applied Research Enhancement (ARE) scheme. These centres have established strong links with the local pharmaceutical, medical device and healthcare sectors. Further information can be obtained at http://pmbrc.org/ and www.seam.ie/
Recently PMBRC and SEAM have been awarded joint funding from Science Foundation Ireland to develop novel drug delivery platforms. Arising from this funding, the following two positions have now become available:
Postdoctoral Researcher, biodegradable polymers
Postdoctoral Researcher, drug delivery and formulation
Development of biodegradable polymeric materials for drug delivery applications
The project is a collaboration between the PMBRC and SEAM research centres in WIT and a number of physicians. The recruited researchers will work alongside existing drug delivery and biomaterials scientists in the centres. The project will involve the development of biodegradable polymeric materials which can be used in injectable controlled release drug delivery applications. A target medical condition has been identified in consultation with the physicians on the project which is not adequately treated with existing therapies. The research is commercially focussed and, depending on the success of the project, further funding applications to commercialise the research will be made.
Science Foundation Ireland (SFI), Technology Innovation Development Award (TIDA)
Minimum Qualifications and Experience Required:
- Ph.D. in the following area:
- Chemistry, Pharmacy or a related discipline (drug delivery and formulation position)
- Material science, polymer chemistry, biomaterials or a related discipline (biodegradable polymer position)
- Previous experience in the synthesis and development of biodegradable polymers OR previous experience in the development of controlled release drug delivery technologies
- Experience and a demonstrated capability in the use of advanced analytical characterisation techniques and instrumentation.
- Good communication, presentation and report writing skills are essential.
- The successful candidate will be comfortable working as part of a multidisciplinary research team and under their own initiative
- An ability to work under pressure to meet project deadlines.
- Previous experience in biomaterials for drug delivery or medical applications
- Previous experience in the development of injectable formulations
Major Duties and Responsibilities:
- To conduct laboratory research at WIT and other collaborator sites to meet the objectives of the project.
- To research relevant literature and keep abreast of recent advances in the field.
- To report and present findings on a regular basis to the research for review purposes.
- To prepare reports, publications, conference proceedings, invention disclosures and patents as appropriate.
- ·Such other duties, temporarily or on a continuing basis, as may reasonably be required commensurate with the position
To a maximum of €40,000 per annum, depending on qualifications and experience
12 month contract. Extension of the contract is dependent on continued funding.
How To Apply:
THIS POSITION IS NOW CLOSED - PLEASE DO NOT APPLY